Mallaig Lifeboat
Log for 2015

Information for these pages is sourced from WestWord, local newspaper for West Lochaber

27 January 2015
Launch requested by the Harbour Master to assist the safe berthing of a work boat. The Harbour Master received a call on the evening of 26th January 2015 from the master of the work boat that he had lost an engine whilst on passage. He was safely berthed in the harbour at Isle of Rum. He intended to berth in Mallaig on the morning of the 27th and requested an escort from the Lifeboat on the final leg of the passage into Mallaig harbour. The Lifeboat met the work boat off the harbour and owing to favorable weather conditions work boat had good way and steerage on. With the Lifeboat in close escort the work boat made it safely in through the harbour entrance and merely needed a broadside push to bring her alongside the pier.
Lifeboat at the pontoon ready for service at 10:00hrs.

Tuesday 7th April
Launched to the assistance of a local trawler by Stornoway Coastguard at l0:00hrs. Whilst fishing two miles NW of Mallaig Harbour the casualty suffered a failure of her steering gear. The skipper contacted the Coastguard as there were no fishing vessels in the locality that could render assistance. A cargo boat on passage responded to the casualty and stood by until the Lifeboat arrived on scene at 10:10 hrs. Minutes later the casualty was under tow for Mallaig. Lifeboat and casualty safely in harbour at 11:10hrs.
Lifeboat ready for service at 11:20hrs

Thursday 9th April
Launched to the assistance of the fishing vessel Investors at 03:40hrs by Stornoway Coastguard. Whilst returning from a night fishing on the creel grounds the Investors suffered a steering failure. Whilst trying to rectify the fault the vessel drifted dangerously close to the shore on the East side of Brittle Point, Isle of Skye. Unable to steer themselves clear of the shore the crew put the anchor away and stopped the casualty drifting any closer.
When the Lifeboat arrived on scene at 04:36hrs conditions could not be better with flat calm conditions and decent moonlight in the small bay where the casualty was located. Once the tow rope was passed over and made fast the casualty's crew retrieved their anchor and the tow commenced for the Investors home port of Elgol. The Investors was brought to her mooring at 06:00hrs in the Bay at Elgol.
Once secure and details exchanged the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig and was moored and ready for service at 06:45 hrs.

Sunday 12th April
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to convey Ambulance crew to the Isle of Eigg at 18.45hrs. A child was showing signs of possible meningitis and was in need of medical treatment. Arriving at Eigg at 19:16hrs the Lifeboat was met by Coastguards and the parents with the child. As a precaution Rescue 948 from Stornoway was also dispatched for Eigg arriving shortly before 20:00hrs. After assessment the child was transferred to the helicopter in a nearby field. After boarding the child and its mother Rescue 948 departed for Glasgow's hospital for Sick Children. As soon as the medics returned from the landing site the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig, fueled and ready for service at 21:10 hrs.
Rescue 948 was landing in Yorkhill Hospital before the lifeboat was fuelled and ready for service at the pontoon.

Tuesday 21st April
A mobile call to the harbourmaster was received at 10:00hrs from a vessel registered in Fraserburgh It had another Fraserburgh trawler under tow with a fouled propeller. The skipper asked if the Lifeboat would meet them off the harbour and assist with the docking of the casualty. Once the Local Operations Manager agreed to the request and the Coastguard at Stornoway notified it was just a matter of waiting until the casualty arrived outside the harbour. The Lifeboat met the vessel and the casualty off the green light at l3:20hrs. The initial plan was to act as a brake at the stern of the casualty but due to weather being flat calm it was decided to strap the Lifeboat alongside the casualty and see how both vessels would behave due to their difference in draught. As the casualty vessel was fitted with a bow thruster forward as well as the Lifeboat, forward movement and steerage was attained. Slowly but surely the casualty was brought alongside at the fish pier at 14:30hrs.
Lifeboat squared away and ready for service at 14:45.

Wednesday 22nd April
As with the previous day the harbourmaster received a call from a trawler. It was inbound for Mallaig with another trawler under tow. It was expected to reach the Harbour at 10:30hrs and requested assistance in bringing the casualty alongside in Mallaig. Weather conditions were still good although with large banks of sea fog. Once again the lifeboat was strapped alongside and the tow dropped from the trawler. With the trawler following close behind, the Lifeboat succeeded in bringing in the casualty to the fish pier.
Lifeboat ready for service at 11:45.

Wednesday 22nd April
Minutes after re-mooring the Lifeboat after bringing in a vessel the pagers were activated again by Stornoway Coastguard at 11:50hrs. A report from the Police alerted the Coastguard of a missing person in a fragile state of mind in the area of Loch Nan Ceall, Arisaig. As the Lifeboat entered the Loch, Coastguards informed the crew that the person had been located thankfully safe and well. Lifeboat returned to port berthing at the pontoon at l3z30hrs.

Wednesday 22nd April
Seconds after debriefing the Coastguard on the two previous callouts the Coxswain received a callon his personal mobile from a local skipper. The skipper of the small vessel requested assistance as he had grounded on a reef on the falling tide. The Coxswain immediately informed the Coastguard, passing on the location and the casualty's mobile number. The pagers were activated again to summon a crew. As the Lifeboat was about to pull off the berth the pagers transmitted a Cancel Launch. The casualty had freed herself from the rock and no longer in need of assistance. The skipper and his crewman although a bit shaken had decided to continue with their day's creeling and conveyed their thanks to all concerned.
Lifeboat ready for service at 14:00

Sunday 10 May
Lifeboat was tasked to go to the assistance of FV Ocean Trust PD787 by Stornoway Coastguard at 12:50 as the vessel had fouled her propeller with her fishing gear. Her position was given as 1 mile from the shore of the Island of Muck. The skipper deployed his anchor which did not hold but the local fish farm support vessel Beinn Airean responded and towed the vessel away from danger. The lifeboat took over the tow from the Beinn Airean and towed the vessel back to Mallaig.
The Ocean Trust was berthed alongside Mallaig pier at 18:30hrs. The lifeboat was refuelled and ready for service at 18:45hrs.

Saturday 23 May
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 10:30hrs to go the assistance of the yacht Spirit of Calypso aground in the Arisaig Channel. Whilst the Lifeboat was proceeding south the casualty vessel reported that they had managed to refloat themselves off the reef and were returning to Arisaig to inspect for damage. With no further need of assistance the lifeboat was stood down and returned to port. Lifeboat ready for service at 11:0Ohrs.

Saturday 23 May
A call from a workboat on passage south past the entrance of Loch Hourn picked up a clear transmission of a Mayday call from a vessel identified as Kalibre. The workboat replied to the call several times with no response from the vessel. The work boat reported the Mayday call to Stornoway Coastguard who launched the Lifeboat to investigate at 12:30hrs Whilst entering Loch Hourn the Lifeboat crew spotted the Air Ambulance helicopter approaching the village of Arnisdale at the head of the loch.
As the lifeboat entered the bay at Arnisdale the Air Ambulance Helicopter was sitting on the main road with its crew attending to someone on the foreshore. A member of the shore party rowed out to the Lifeboat to explain that he was the skipper of the sailing yacht Caol Ila. A diver had been diving to inspect mooring adjacent to their yacht when he surfaced unconscious. They promptly boarded their dinghy and recovered the diver. After broadcasting a Mayday for assistance and not getting a reply the skipper rowed ashore to dial 999 from a house in Arnisdale. A crewmember on the Caol Ila was a Doctor who began to stabilize the casualty and transferred the casualty ashore to await evacuation by the Air Ambulance.
With the situation in hand the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig, refueled and was ready for service at 14:30hrs.

Wednesday 27 May
A cruise boat on passage south in the Sound of Sleat reported an abandoned/drifting 10 foot dinghy west of the Traigh area of Arisaig. A brief description and position was relayed to the Coastguard at Stornoway The Lifeboat was tasked to launch and recover this craft by the Coastguard. The Lifeboat made for the initial position the craft was reported at and then proceeded downwind to locate the craft some three miles from its initial reported position. The dinghy was brought onboard the Lifeboat and taken ashore once the Lifeboat was berthed back at the pontoon.

Friday 29th May
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of a kayaker believed to be in difficulty in the entrance of Loch Ailort at Roshven. A member of the public reported what they believed to be a Kayaker in difficulty in fresh weather. A Rescue helicopter exercising in the area was tasked to assist and was on scene before the Lifeboat.
Once on scene the Y-Boat was deployed with two crew members to search the Coastline on both sides of the estuary. After several sweeps of the estuary by the Helicopter, the Lifeboat and Y-Boat nothing was found apart from general flotsam. Lifeboat and Helicopter stood down at 21:00hrs along with shore based Coastguards from Mallaig and Salen. Police were continuing with their own enquiries.
Lifeboat fueled and ready for service at 21:45hrs.

Friday 5th June
A phone call to the Coxswain and then routed through the necessary bodies saw the Lifeboat launched at 20:45 to Medivac an injured woman from Doune on the Knoydart peninsula. Fortunately a Doctor was holidaying in Doune and was able to administer some first aid until the Lifeboat arrived with the Paramedics. Once the Paramedics had carried out their assessments and made the female casualty comfortable for transfer, the Lifeboat was brought alongside the small jetty.
Once moored the casualty was brought from the accommodation block and boarded the Lifeboat for the short journey back to Mallaig. Once at the pontoon she was taken to the Belford Hospital for further treatment. Lifeboat ready for service at 22:30hrs.

Saturday 13th June
The lifeboat was tasked to transport two members of the Ambulance Service to the Isle of Eigg to respond to a call from a male who had sustained a head injury. On arrival at the Island the Ambulance personnel met with the casualty. After treating the casualty at the location it was deemed unnecessary to take him ashore for further treatment. The Ambulance crew returned to the lifeboat after which the lifeboat returned to station.
The Lifeboat was refueled and ready for service at 23.30 hours

Sunday 14th June
The Lifeboat was tasked to transport Ambulance personnel to the Isle of Eigg to respond to reports of a person who had sustained a suspected broken ankle. On arrival at the scene the ambulance personnel went ashore to assess the casualty. The Casualty was taken to back to the lifeboat and transported back to Mallaig under supervision of the ambulance personnel. The lifeboat was refueled and ready for service at 03.30 hours.

Tuesday 16th June
The lifeboat was tasked to go to the assistance to the FV Our Catherine BRD177 who had gone to a mooring at the fish farm in Loch Hourn to lie overnight. After failing to start due to a faulty starter the skipper called the Coastguard for assistance. The lifeboat reached the casualty at 05.10 and transferred a towline. The vessel was taken under tow to Isle Ornsay and safely berthed alongside the jetty at 0630.
The lifeboat was back alongside in Mallaig. refueled and ready for service at 07:15.

Thursday 18th June
A yacht 2 miles north of Mallaig Harbour called the harbour on channel 16 that they had run out of fuel and would appreciate some assistance in getting into the Marina. After going through the proper channels the Lifeboat was launched to assist the yacht into the harbour. As the Lifeboat left her berth the crew were alerted to another more serious incident further out of the Isle of Eigg. A passing ferry was requested to return to the yacht with some fuel after dropping off their passengers, in order to release the Lifeboat for her second tasking.

Thursday 18th June
With arrangements in hand to get fuel to the yacht, the Lifeboat proceeded for Eigg to the assistance of an unwell crewmember of a fishing vessel.
The crew had radioed the coastguard after they thought that one crewman might have suffered a stroke. As well as the Lifeboat being at sea the Coastguard helicopter was also in the air and diverted to the vessel. At 10:55hrs both the Lifeboat and the Helicopter were on scene.
As there was a moderate sea and swell running the Lifeboat would have had difficulty transferring the casualty on board to transfer to the helicopter. By passing a high line to the crew of the vessel the helicopter winchman was guided on board to assess the casualty. The winchman reported back that evacuation was not necessary and that the trawler should return to port and the casualty attend the local GP. Coastguard requested that the Lifeboat escorted the vessel ashore and both vessels docked at 13:50hrs.

Thursday 18th June
A request from Police Scotland saw the Lifeboat leave for Inverie to recover the body of a hill walker at 19:25hrs. On arrival at Inverie the lifeboat was met by locals who had recovered the body to the pier. Once the body had been placed in a body bag it was brought onboard the boat and placed in the survivors' cabin. After the Police had carried out their enquiries the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig at 22:10hrs and was met by a private ambulance to convey the body to Fort William.
Lifeboat ready for service at 22:30hrs.

Thursday 18th June
Whilst awaiting the arrival of Police for the previous tasking the Coastguard requested that the Fire Brigade travel to Inverie along with the Police. Their task was to check out a now extinguished chimney fire for hotspots or any other internal/external damage to a property in the village at Inverie The Fire crew waited along with the Lifeboats crew until the Police were finished with their enquiries from the previous incident.
Lifeboat back at the Pontoon at 22:10hrs.

Saturday 20th June
Launched at 10:55 hrs to tow a yacht into Loch Harport, Isle of Skye by Stornoway Coastguard. The yacht Jooley was located off Portnalong and towed into Carbost and placed on a mooring to await an engineer to repair a broken prop shaft.
Lifeboat back in Mallaig at 15:05

Saturday 20th June
Launched to convey Paramedics to the Isle of Eigg. An elderly woman on the Island was showing symptoms of a possible heart attack. The Lifeboat was met by the Island's first responder who conveyed the Paramedics to the casualty location at Cleadale. Once assessed the elderly person was brought to the Lifeboat and transferred to Mallaig for onward travel to Fort William's Belford Hospital. Lifeboat launched at 14:18hrs and back and ready for service at 17:00hrs

Thursday 2nd July
Yacht Destiny acting on behalf of yacht Arc eu Cello.
A pan-pan call received from the yacht Destiny alerted the Coastguard to grounding of the yacht Arc eu Cello in the entrance to Loch Moidart at 11:05hrs.The Lifeboat left Mallaig for Loch Moidart at 11:15hrs. While it was on passage to Loch Moidart the Destiny acting as a message relay station informed the Lifeboat that the casualty had re-floated but was unable to navigate to safety. Once in the loch the Lifeboat deployed the Y-Boat with two crew members to survey the area around the casualty to ascertain how best to recover the yacht to safety. Because of the strong ebb the casualty was being held against the reef. Fortunately with only 30 minutes to slack water the crew of the Y-Boat found a safe deep route to safety. With the Y-Boat pushing the casualty against the tide and operating astern the yacht was guided to deep water and anchored to await more tide before continuing on its passage out of the narrow entrance of the loch.
With the situation in hand Lifeboat returned to station and fueled and was ready for service at 14:15 hrs.

Wednesday 8th July
Assisting two yachts in Loch Scavaig. Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of two yachts ashore in Loch Scavaig, Isle of Skye at 01:10hrs. Both vessels had been blown ashore by winds off the high surrounding mountains. Arriving on scene at O2:00hrs the Lifeboat found that a motorboat had managed to refloat itself but would remain on scene to offer assistance if necessary. The other yacht was hard aground against a rockface on the falling tide. The two crew managed to get fendering and their dinghy between the hull and the rockface preventing damage. The yacht was made secure and the crew brought onboard the Lifeboat by Y-boat.
The Lifeboat and motorboat remained on scene until low water. Two crew returned by Y-boat to the yacht to inspect for damage to it. Fortunately she had sustained no damage bar a few scratches. Lifeboat returned to Mallaig with the yacht's crew and the motorboat to await for the turn of the tide.

Wednesday 8th July
Drifting Tender in Loch Nevis. Whilst escorting a yacht out of Loch Scavaig after being re-floated and just making sure that all was in order before returning to Mallaig the Lifeboat was tasked to another call. A yacht on passage off Mallaig had spotted a drifting tender in the entrance of Loch Nevis at 12:35hrs. On scene at 13:00hrs the Lifeboat searched about the entrance of Loch Nevis and down to the Morar River Estuary. With a stiff breeze from the north, sea conditions were not helpful for searching for a small dinghy amongst white horses (small breaking waves). With the dinghy confirmed as missing with no persons onboard the Lifeboat was stood down and returned to port. Luckily a local vessel recovered the dinghy later in the afternoon. Lifeboat ready for service at 15:00hrs.

Wednesday 15th July
Medivac from Isle of Rum. Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to medivac an injured person from the isle of Rum at 13:25hrs as a daytripper had tripped and fallen whilst enjoying a walk on the island. Local Coastguards suspected that she had broken her arm as well as sustaining a facial injury and that she should receive medical treatment as soon as possible. On scene at 14:05 the Lifeboat was met by Coastguards at the new slipway with the casualty. Once secure alongside the casualty who was able to walk assisted on board and was made comfortable in the back of the wheelhouse along with her partner for the journey back to the Mainland.
Once back at Mallaig the local Ambulance crew met the Lifeboat and conveyed the casualty to Fort William's Belford Hospital for further assessment and treatment. Lifeboat ready for service at 15:0Ohrs.

Wednesday 12th August
Yacht Edelweise.
The lifeboat was tasked to the yacht Edelweise with three persons on board. The vessel had stopped making way under engine power with the crew suspecting a problem with their propeller. Given the proximity to Mallaig the lifeboat took the vessel in tow and berthed the vessel safely alongside Mallaig Marina at l200hrs.

Thursday 13th August
Yacht Liara. Launched at 05:40 to the assistance of the 30m yacht Liara by Stornoway Coastguard. Whilst leaving Loch Nevis to carry passengers to Mallaig to catch the early morning train, Liara began to experience technical problems with her gearbox electronic management system. As the morning was still and there was no wind available to sail herself out of trouble Liara notified the Coastguard of her predicament. As a precaution the Liara launched her tender to tow and hold the yacht from the shore.
As the Lifeboat was on her way an air of wind developed which was strong enough to fill a very large foresail and Liara was able to make way. In the meantime the crew had managed to reinstall the management system and had recovered full control of the mechanics onboard. With all under control, passengers in the tender heading for the train and a nice morning breaking the Lifeboat was stood down and returned to port berthing at 06:00hrs

Sunday 16th August
Yacht Sandpiper.
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of the yacht Sandpiper at 20:25hrs. Becalmed and with a fouled propeller Sandpiper was located two miles north of Mallaig harbour. Once on scene Sandpiper was taken alongside the Lifeboat and towed to the marina. Local Coastguards assisted in berthing Sandpiper and arranged contact with a diver to inspect the fouled propeller.
Lifeboat ready for service at 21:30hrs.

Monday 17th August Yacht Gingerbre Launch in response to a request by Stornoway Coastguard to search for a vessel which was transmitting on CHI6 at 13:10hrs.This vessel was preventing others using the distress frequency. The Coastguard had an idea that this vessel was in the Ardnamurchan area. As the Lifeboat headed south the Direction Finder picked up a faint signal which became stronger as the Lifeboat continued south. North-east of Fascadale Buoy a yacht was spotted under sail and corresponding with the direction that the DF was giving. Once alongside the Swedish yacht Gingerbre it was established that the VHF was, unbeknown to the crew, transmitting on CHl6. Gingerbre fortunately had a handheld set also and would be able to communicate with others if need be until the main set was sorted.
Lifeboat back in harbour at 15:10hrs and ready for service.

Monday 17th August
FV Independence.
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of the local fishing vessel Independence at 23:20hrs. Whilst steaming towards Rum harbour after a day's fishing Independence began to lose power and then stall her engine. Twice restarted and engaging the gearbox engaged only resulted in stalling the engine again. It was apparent that the prop was severely fouled with debris of some sort. Once on scene the tow rope was passed over and the two vessels headed for Mallaig at 00:00hrs. After an uneventful tow back to port due to a beautiful clear starlit calm night. once outside the harbour Independence was strapped alongside the lifeboat and brought into the fish pier berthing at 03:00hrs.
Lifeboat ready for service at 03:15hrs. Divers removed a large amount of discarded netting from the propeller of the Independence the following morning.

Monday 31st August
Yacht Aurelia. Vessel had grounded whilst on mooring - it is possible that the mooring had dragged from initial location. Lifeboat arrived on scene and due to available depth of water the Y-boat was launched. Lifeboat stood off until vessel was refloated and assisted by Y-boat to anchor in a safer location. All crewmembers were safe and well and no water ingress noted. Lifeboat left scene at 0415.

Tuesday 1st September
Fishing Vessel Novantae. Vessel contacted Coastguard to report that a crewmember was ill. Lifeboat launched and due to vessel's close proximity to Mallaig escorted vessel to harbour where casualty was transferred to Ambulance.

Saturday 12th September
Inshore Cruise Liner Lord of the Glens. Launched at 18:09hrs to assist Police in their investigation into a sudden death on board a cruise ship off Mallaig. Owing to no Police being on duty in Mallaig the Lifeboat waited for the Police and the duty NHS Doctor to arrive from Fort William. In the meantime the cruise ship berthed in Inverie as Mallaig Harbour was unable to accommodate her. Once Police and Doctor arrived the Lifeboat conveyed them to Inverie, arriving at 19:32 hrs. After police had carried out their investigation the Lifeboat crew assisted in recovering the person's body to the Lifeboat. Also boarded was the person's partner and their Tour Guide who was accompanying the partner back to Mallaig and beyond.
Once back in Mallaig the Lifeboat was met by a private ambulance which conveyed the body back to Fort William mortuary whilst the rest of the party followed on by police car. Lifeboat ready for service at 22:00hrs.

Tuesday 29th September
Medivac from Inverie: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 14:50hrs to convey paramedics to Inverie. A visitor to Inverie was enjoying an afternoon's loch fishing when he overbalanced and fell down the bank onto the rocky edge, knocking himself unconscious. His partner was able to summon help from locals who took the angler to Inverie Pier. The Lifeboat took a little longer than usual to reach Inverie due to the fact that she was operating on one engine. Technicians had been in the middle of reassembling the port engine which just had new injectors fitted when the pagers were activated.
On arrival at Inverie the casualty was assessed by the paramedics in the waiting room and was found to have recovered well from his mishap. Wishing to remain in Inverie the casualty conveyed his thanks for everyone's assistance and continued with his break along with his partner.
Lifeboat proceeded back to Mallaig at a leisurely 10 knots arriving at the pontoon at 16:25hrs. Lifeboat fully operational at 18:00hrs.

Saturday 3rd October
Medivac from Isle of Rum: Launched at 02:35 to Loch Scresort Isle of Rum by Stornoway Coastguard. A passenger on the small research/cruiser vessel Monadhliath had suffered an allergic reaction to medication whilst at anchor in Rum. The Lifeboat arrived on scene at 03:15 with two paramedics onboard. Once the passenger was assessed and stabilized he was taken onboard the Lifeboat and conveyed back to Mallaig for transfer to Belford Hospital, Fort William by the paramedics.
Lifeboat ready for service at 04:55hrs.

Monday 19th October
Medivac from Isle of Eigg: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 13:40hrs to convey a patient from the Isle of Eigg back to the mainland. A resident on the island had been suffering back and abdominal pains and was advised by medics to seek treatment on the mainland as soon as possible. Arriving at Eigg slipway at 14:10 the patient was boarded and transferred to Mallaig for onward travel to Fort William's Belford Hospital.
Lifeboat ready for service at 15:00hrs.

Wednesday 11th November
Fishing Vessel Happy Return: Towed a broken down creel boat to Glenuig and put it on its mooring.

Thursday 19th November
Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 11:10hrs to assist with an ongoing incident in the Lochailort area. Police were in attendance where a person had entered the water and was at risk of harm. Whilst the lifeboat proceeded the situation was resolved with the casualty being recovered ashore. Medics were on scene at the location and no further need of the Lifeboat was required and so stood down.
Lifeboat ready for service at 11:40hrs.

Thursday 19th November
Medivac, Inverie: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 19:00 to convey Paramedics to Inverie on the Knoydart Peninsula. A local man, who was assisting another to repair a vehicle, slipped on the wet cobbled surface at the pier head in Inverie. He was in great pain and it was suspected that he had dislocated his hip. Once on scene the medical team began their assessments and administered pain relief. When the casualty had responded to the pain relief he was moved onto the stretcher and conveyed the short distance to the Lifeboat. Once boarded the casualty was taken back to Mallaig and transferred to the ambulance for onward travel to Fort William's Belford Hospital for further care and attention.
Lifeboat ready for service at 20:45hrs.

Saturday 5th December
Medivac from Isle of Eigg: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 20:25hrs to the Isle of Eigg. A resident of Eigg had taken ill and was to be transferred to the mainland to receive medical attention. Owing to the nature of the illness, two paramedics accompanied the crew to Eigg to assist. Once alongside at the ferry pier in Eigg, the casualty, who was mobile although in pain, was boarded and attended to by the medics on the return journey back to Mallaig. Alongside at the pontoon at 22:05 the casualty was transferred onwards by the ambulance crew to the Belford Hospital for further treatment.
Lifeboat ready for service at 22:15hrs.

Sunday 6th December
Medivac from Isle of Rum: Requested to launch to the Isle of Rum at 15:14 to take Paramedics to recover a local person who had suffered facial burns. As the Mallaig ambulance crew were already attending a call and transfer to Fort William, the Coastguard tasked the helicopter from Stornoway to carry out the transfer directly to Inverness.
Lifeboat stood down at 17:05.

Tuesday 29th December
Fish Farm Workboat Gracie Ava: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at O3:45hrs to the assistance of the fish farm workboat Gracie Ava which had suffered engine/gearbox failure. Whilst on passage to the fish farm site in Loch Hourn from Kyle of Lochalsh Gracie Ava suffered engine failure about 1.5 miles south of Sandaig Light. With a fresh wind from the north the vessel was drifting at about 1 knot per hour towards the south shore of the loch. On scene at 04:12hrs the tow rope was passed over and by 04:15hrs Gracie Ava was under tow for Mallaig in improving weather conditions. Once inside the harbour entrance, Gracie Ava was brought alongside the Lifeboat and safely berthed in the inner harbour to await repair.
Lifeboat ready for service at 06:15hrs.