Mallaig Lifeboat
Log for 2017

Information for these pages is sourced from WestWord, local newspaper for West Lochaber

Sunday 8th January
Medivac from Inverie: Requested by Stornoway Coastguard to launch at 04:05hrs to convey paramedics to Inverie (Knoydart). Once on scene the paramedics were taken to the casualty's home and the patient was assessed. It was decided that the casualty should be transferred to the mainland for further treatment. Patient boarded and lifeboat returned to Mallaig. Lifeboat ready for service at 05:15hrs.

Saturday 14th January
Cargo vessel Harvest Caroline: Launched at 01:25hrs by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of the cargo vessel Harvest Caroline. Whilst on passage from Kyle of Lochalsh to Mallaig the Harvest Caroline grounded in the Kyle Rhea narrows. Lifeboat arrived on scene at 02:05 to find the cargo vessel aground on a shingly strip of beach between two reefs. The hull had not been breached and no visible sign of damage could be seen. As the tide was now on the turn the tow rope was attached to the casualty and the strain taken and with the engines slow astern Harvest Caroline slipped off the beach without much difficulty. Once the casualty was clear the tow was released and the casualty set off for Mallaig under her own power with the lifeboat in escort at 02:30hrs. Harvest Caroline duly docked at Mallaig at 04:10hrs to await inspection by divers later in the morning.
Lifeboat ready for service at 04:20hrs.

Sunday 15th January
Fishing Vessel Mareather: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard ast 13:10hrs to the assistance of the trawler Mareather. Whilst engaged in fishing operation to the NW of the Isle of Canna Mareather lost engine power. After several attempts to try and restart the engine to no avail the crew notified the Coastguard at Stornoway of their predicament. As there were no other vessels in area to assist the Coastguard requested the Lifeboat to launch. Arriving on scene at 14:40hrs, in misty, overcast but calm conditions, a tow was quickly established and the vessels headed for Mallaig at a steady 6 knots. As they approached Sleat Point the skipper of the Mareather radioed that he had managed to regain engine power and was prepared to drop the tow and continue for Mallaig under his own power. The tow was dropped and the Lifeboat escorted the Mareather to Mallaig docking at 20:30hrs.
Lifeboat fueled and ready for service at 21:00hrs.

Friday 10th March
Fishing vessel Reliance: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 11:05hrs to the assistance of the trawler Reliance BF80. The Reliance had suffered engine failure off the Glenbrittle area of Skye. The crew were unable to restart their engine due to a burst pipe which had sprayed fluid onto vital sensors that rendered the engine inoperable. Arriving on scene at 12:05hrs a tow was quickly established and a course set for Mallaig at a steady 6 knots. Once off the harbour the Reliance was brought alongside the lifeboat before being taken in and berthed at the fish pier at 16:20hrs.
Lifeboat ready for service at 16:30hrs.

Wednesday 19th April
Yacht Moshula: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 11:10hrs to the assistance of the yacht Moshula. Whilst sailing overnight Moshula's crew had decided to bring down their sails. They started their engine to turn the boat head to wind but unawares to them one of their sail ropes was trailing in the water and subsequently fouled the propeller. The crew continued under sail until daylight so as to assess their situation. With light winds and little progress being made off Neist Point, Isle of Skye, they requested assistance via a Pan-Pan Message. On scene at 12:40 hrs, the Lifeboat took the Moshula under tow for Loch Harport on the West Coast of Skye. Moshula was safely moored at a pontoon at Carbost Loch Harport at 15:55hrs. Contact details of a local team of divers who would hopefully assist in getting the propeller free of the rope was passed one to the Moshula's crew.
Lifeboat returned to Mallaig, fueled and was ready for service at 17:00hrs

Thursday 20th April
Medivac from Inverie: Launched by Stornoway Coastguard at 16:O5hrs to convey Paramedics to Inverie. A builder had fallen from a roof and suspected that he might have broken his leg. Arrived at Inverie 18:15hrs. Once alongside, the Paramedics were transported to the scene along with one crewman, should assistance be required. After assessment and a thorough examination by Paramedics the casualty found not to have broken his leg but had sustained heavy bruising. After getting the casualty to stand and walk about it was decided by the Medics to leave him on scene at his lodgings in Inverie Once medics and crew boarded, the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig, berthed and was ready for service at 19:25hrs.

Monday 24th April
Medivac from Isle of Eigg: Launched to convey Paramedics to the Isle of Eigg at 12:10hrs by Stornoway Coastguard. A visitor who had been out cycling on the Island had failed to negotiate a corner on a hill and crashed into the embankment sustaining a head injury. Once the Lifeboat reached the pier at Eigg, the Paramedics were taken by locals to the scene where the casualty had fallen. Once prepped and stretchered the casualty, a male, was taken to the pier and brought on~board the lifeboat. The casualty was further prepped before the lifeboat made the passage back to Mallaig. Once back at the pontoon the casualty was disembarked to the Ambulance for transportation to the Belford Hospital in Fort William for further treatment. Lifeboat ready for service at 14:35hrs.

Thursday 27th April
Medivac from Isle of Eigg: Launched at 17:55hrs by Stornoway Coastguard to convey medics to the Isle of Eigg on behalf of Scottish Ambulance Service. Once on scene at 18:32hrs the Lifeboat was met by local Coastguards who had conveyed the casualty to the pier. Once an assessment was carried out by the Medics, the patient was boarded and the Lifeboat returned to Mallaig berthing at the pontoon at 19:45hrs. The patient was transported by Ambulance to Fort William for further assessment and treatment at Belford Hospital. Lifeboat ready for service at 19:50hrs.

Thursday 11th May
Walkers Stranded on Isle Oronsay: Launched at 19:00hrs by Stornoway Coastguard to the assistance of two stranded persons on the island of Oronsay in Loch Bracadale Isle of Skye. The couple had crossed over to the island at low water to do some exploring. On their return to the crossing they found themselves cut off by the tide. The Coastguard was made aware by staff where the couple were lodging in the area. Whilst the Lifeboat was underway to the location Coastguards, assisted by a party of kayakers managed to ferry the couple back to the mainland. With the Lifeboat not required any further, Coastguard requested that the Lifeboat stand down and return to base. Lifeboat fuelled and ready for service at 20:45hrs.

Monday 15th May
Unoccupied dinghy retrieved off Arisaig Launched at 21:1Ohrs by Stornoway Coastguard in response to a 999 call from the Arisaig area. Onlookers from the shore noticed a small dinghy being blown off shore by the wind. Unsure if it was occupied or not the Coastguard requested that the Lifeboat launch and investigate. With good coordinates given by the first informer the 10 foot dinghy was quickly located approximately a mile off Portnadoran campsite. The dinghy was unoccupied but in poor condition. The crew took the craft back to Mallaig onboard the Lifeboat and deposited it on the pier to await collection if an owner was found by local Police. Lifeboat ready for service at 21:50hrs.