• Welcome to Mallaig Heritage Centre Forum.

gees I'd love a kipper! - Hi from downunder

Started by George May, December 05, 2001, 12:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George May

Perhaps the most vivid memory I have of my youth in Mallaig is going to my grandad's (George May) kippering shed after school and asking him to wrap a fresh kipper in cellophane and cook it in the slow burning smoke fires...Never in my whole life have my sences been so alive - the aroma and taste of that wonderful juicy package just could not be described. I left Mallaig at age 15 in 1962. My mother is Sadie May who now lives in Melbourne ( I am just north of Sydney) I went to school with Albert Cunnell who was my best mate . Victor Cruden is my cousin. There is not a day goes by that I don't think of mallaig and the joys I knew there - I have lived all over Australia and the USA and I don't think I will ever seen anything as beautiful as a sunset over Skye. I would be most pleased to hear from anyone from Mallaig. all the best. George May

David Duncan

Hello George, I left a message on the Mallaig Noticeboard several months ago, but no replies. I stopped checking. Today I checked again and read your message. It took me a few seconds to place you, I believe you had 2 names, George May or George Macinerney am I right? Or do I have the wrong man? I lived in 15 Lovat Terrace, second of 7 kids, My father was the baker. in 1965 I left school (Fort William) and went to sea with the Merchant Navy. I lived in Saudi Arabia for 7 years and the Bahamas since 1983. Before I continue, I wait your reply to see if you are the George I remember. George Young, Peter Maclean, James Manson, Robert Macmillan were in my class, Albert was a year ahead so was Victor. write back, David

Violet McKenzie

Dear George. I am one of your Mothers friends from Mallaig,the last time i seen your Mother was about 17years ago with your brother John Paul,and you stayed with me when you were young, and your sister was just a baby.I have sinced moved and now live in Preston Lancashire.I hope you are all well and you manage to reply to me A.S.A.P. Love and Best wishes Violet MacKenzie.

pcunnell

I am Alberts cousin I also miss Mallaig I spent some wonderful holidays there and have also tasted those kippers. I keep in touch with Albert and Robert Pat